Wednesday 20 July 2011

Scintillating Stravinsky Rite of Spring Prom 6

Just when I think I can have a night off to relax, what happens? A scintillating, sparkling Rite of Spring, Myung-Whun Chung and the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France, Prom 6. We've all heard Stravinsky's masterpiece a million times, and we all know how wonderful Chung and the OPRF are, but this was exceptional. I haven't yet got round to listening to the rest of the concert (particularly keen on Weber). 

So listen to this no matter how blasé you might be. This is different because it's so clean and clear. Often Rites of Spring are angular and earthy, but Chung makes it feel electric and mercurial - such movement, such clarity, such energy! Makes me think - silver, pure crystal springs, newness, shining light. Of course it's brass, winds, percussion and strings, but that's the instinctive effect it's having on me. Which is why I picked this photo, with its silver clouds and violet depths. It's one of the original designs by Nicholas Roerich  for Le Sacre du Printemps for the  Ballets Russe. Listen here for 7 days online on demand.

No comments: